Each alert has a status to let users know the state of an alert. Workflows can trigger escalations and notifications based on changes to an alert's status.
- Open - When an alert is triggered, it will be in the open state. No user is designated as Owner. Notifications and Escalations will continue in the Open state.
- Assigned - When an alert is assigned to a user, the user becomes the owner of the alert. When an alert is in the Assigned state, Escalations cease. Workflows can be triggered by assignment.
- Closed - When an alert is resolved, it will be time stamped with the close date. Workflows can be triggered by this event.
- On Hold* - Pause an alert.
- Cancelled* - Cancel and close an alert without resolution.
* On Hold and Cancelled are available only in the Web App.
When an alert is open, users may respond to it with different actions. Read on to learn about the actions users may take to manage alerts.
- Escalate - Notify the next user in the escalation sequence. If the alert is being delivered to different users as part of its escalation sequence, the escalate action will notify the next person in the sequence immediately.
- Acknowledge - Acknowledge that a user has received an alert. Each user acknowledgement is recorded in the alert detail. Acknowledgement does not stop Notifications or Escalations.
- Assign - Take assignment of an alert and become its owner.
- Close - Close an alert and its escalations.
- Reply - Reply to an alert to add information, without changing its state.
Responding to Alerts
Users can receive alerts by different channels: Phone, SMS, Email, AlertOps Mobile App, or chat channels like Slack and Microsoft Teams. Response options are enabled in the Escalation Rule, allowing action buttons to be displayed or hidden for each communication channel. The Web App can also be used to respond to an alert.
You can take change an alert's status and take actions on the alert in the alerts page. Under the details tab, you may change the alert state. And, under the messages tab, you may take response actions.
Change Alert Status:
Take Action on an Alert:
When you receive an alert by phone, the alert's message text will be read to you. At any time during the message, you can press a key on the phone to respond to the alert:
- Press 1 to replay the message.
- Press 6 to Escalate the alert.
- Press 7 to Acknowledge receipt of the alert.
- Press 8 to Take Assignment of the alert.
- Press 9 to Close the Alert.
- If the alert message includes a bridge option, press 0 to dial the bridge number. After connecting to the bridge, enter your access code.
When you receive an email alert, action buttons can be used to respond.
Above, the Acknowledge and Escalate buttons have been supressed. Action buttons that appear for an alert are configured in the Message Options tab of the Escalation Rule.
Pressing Acknowledge will note the action in the alert and open a browser tab to a web app page allowing the user to take assignment or log in.
Pressing Assign will assign the alert to the user, and also open a browser allowing the user to log into the web app.
Pressing Escalate will escalate to the next User in the chain.
Pressing Close will open a browser allowing input of the resolution before closing.
- To Acknowledge an alert, send 'ACK.'
- To take Assignment of an alert, send 'ASSIGN.'
- To Reply to an alert, send 'REPLY [message text]'
- To Close an alert, send 'CLOSE [resolution message text]'
Mobile App Push Notification Alerts
To respond to push notifications, you must be in the open alerts page of the AlertOps mobile app. Then, you can select an open alert to respond to. Take an action on the alert by tapping a button at the bottom of the alert detail page.
- Tap Ack (if present) to acknowledge the alert.
- Tap Assign to take assignment of the alert.
- Tap Close the alert to close it. Enter the resolution text in the popup.
- Tap Escalate to immediately notify the next user in the chain.
- You can reply to the alert by tapping Reply. Replies will be delivered to other users in email or the mobile app.
- Add Others to the Alert – Any User or Group which you add to the alert will be notified using the same notification rule of the original message. Select the Users or Groups that you want to add and click Send.
- Recieving Alert Updates – You will receive all alert updates in the alert message, including user replies and Workflow Messages.