What is a Group?
Groups are logical collections of Users in AlertOps and are used as the focal point for delivery of notifications. They often reflect the team structure of the business, but they can contain any combination of Users, regardless of business units. A Group consists of the individuals tasked with responding to Alerts based on the origin of the Alert, or it may contain Users (such as Stakeholders) who will receive messages based on the conditions of the Alert.
In most cases, Integrations will be configured with a Recipient Group to define who will be notified in the event of an Alert. Using Groups allows Schedules to be applied, providing for automatic movement of team members in and out of active roles. Additionally, Groups may be nested within other Groups, allowing for layered organization and disparate schedules. Group contact methods may be defined, allowing for broadcast of Alerts to teams. Lastly, Topics may be associated with a Group, connecting that Group to a pre-configured message that can be delivered quickly.
Add a New Group
- Click Add Group in the top right corner.
- Enter a Group Name. Each group must have a unique Group Name.
- Optionally, you may add a Topic to the group, using the drop-down menu.
- Click Save.
- On the Groups & Schedules Management page, you may add Members, Schedules, Contact Methods, and Topics to the group.
Manage a Group
On the Groups & Schedules Management page, you may add Members, Schedules, Contact Methods, and Topics to a group. To reach the group management page, click on Groups & Schedules in the menu bar. Then, select the desired group.
Add Members to a Group
- From the Group Management Page, in the Members tab, click Add Members.
- Select the desired, available users or groups and use the right arrow to move them into the selected members column.
- Click Update.
Remove Members from a Group
From the Group Management Page, in the Members tab, press the trash can icon in the Action column to remove a Member from the Group. The user will remain in the system, but will be removed from the Group. The icon will be greyed out if the member is a part of a Schedule. Members must be removed from all Schedules before they can be removed from the Group or deleted from the system.
Add Group Schedules and View Group Calendar
Add a schedule to a group and view group calendars from the Groups & Schedules Management page. Groups can contain multiple schedules including fixed and rotating schedules. You may also create schedule overrides in which the shortest schedule will be in effect. From the Group Detail Page, Click Add Schedule. To view group schedules in a calendar format, Click Group Calendar.
Click here to learn more about schedules.
Group Member Roles
There are three Member Roles: Primary, Secondary, and Manager. Primary and Secondary Member Roles are also defined in Group Schedules. The Manager Role is used for Manager escalations. Use the sequence to set the escalation sequence between groups and/or members. Next to each user, check the box next to the preferred user role. Then, select a sequence for the groups and/or user.
- Primary – the first set of person(s) in the escalation sequence.
- Secondary – the second set of person(s) in the escalation sequence.
- Manager – used for Manager escalations, can also be a Primary or Secondary role member. A User with this role can also edit anything within the Group they are a Manager of, including User details, Schedules, and Out of Office.
Group Contact Methods
Add contact methods so AlertOps knows how to contact each group. You may select contact method such as email, SMS, or phone. Push notification contact methods are added automatically after a user registers their AlertOps mobile app.
Use topics to quickly route alerts to the right Group. You must have an existing Topic to add a Topic to a Group. To add a Topic:
- From the Group & Schedules Management Page, in the Topics tab, click Add Topic.
- Search the Topic Name.
- Click Add.
Click here to learn more about topics.
Remove an Existing Group
- From the menu bar, click on Groups & Schedules.
- On the Groups & Schedules page, click the Delete icon next to the group you wish to remove.
- Click OK.